Sunday 22 January 2017

Order of the WEB -15 Ch2

Fifteen years ago…

In the dungeons of the Second Vassal Chief of Elmina

She had always heard about this place, but never thought one day she’d be in one. The dungeons were specially made to nullify all senses; just an endless pit of darkness. She couldn’t even hear herself weep. The only thing that kept the once Princess sane right now was the life she harbored in her. This unborn child was her only form of hope; and the fact that she had tried to take her life while carrying this child sickened her.
You’ve got to stop crying kid; it’s becoming unbearable. A voice called.
Kram! Is that you? How are you able to communicate with me right now? She asked, her crying ceasing.
You know what I am; I am this family; I am a part of you, no dungeon can nullify me. He said in his usual low tone.  Judging from the fact that you are in here, I’m guessing you’ve still not told anyone that you’ve been able to merge with a family totem.
No, I haven’t.
You do know you’re the first of your line to do so in over 500 years right? They’d pardon you of all sins if they knew that. The last time someone was able to summon and merge with a family totem was when the Order struck. Good times, they shook the very foundation of every form of existence. He laughed.
Suddenly she could feel some of her senses restoring; she could hear her breathing; feel the ground under her feet.
Was that you? Your flame? She asked; a sad smile spreading on her face.
You can thank me when we get out of here. He responded.
I don’t plan on telling them. She said.
What?! And why are you saying that with a smile on your face? Kid, think this through. Kram was shocked by her response.
If I do tell them, they will welcome me back, even worship the very ground I walk on; but they will kill this child and his father. They will wipe any record of their existence, which includes anyone apart from the immediate family who knows about this pregnancy. They can’t have a goddess who broke taboo. She explained. I can’t let this kid die. No matter what. He has to live.
He? Kram asked.
Yeah, I think it’s a boy. I just feel it. She laughed. She felt Kram smile.
It would have been nice to get to know him. I’m sorry they’ll be taking him away. He added
Her smile faded when she was reminded of the fate that awaited her unborn child; a few more weeks, maybe two months, and this child will be born into a harsh world he did nothing to deserve. If only there was a way she could help. Maybe there was.
Maybe you can. She said.
What do you mean? Kram asked, clearly confused.
Maybe you can get to know him. She said with excitement.
Are you losing your mind kid? Because even I can’t fix that. She could picture the look on Kram’s face right now, which only made her laugh.
I’m not losing my mind.
Then what are you saying?
I want you to merge with him, my child.
WHAT?! Ok now I’m certain you’ve lost your mind! Kram shot at her. Merging is not that simple; even you with all your talent had to not just summon me, but go through the grueling process of merging to be able to become a part of me and vice versa. And you think it is possible with an unborn child? You really are crazy kid. She just laughed in response.
The most difficult part of the process has already been done; summoning you, the rest is just a simple matter of merging. She went on.
Have you forgotten how painful it was? You think a child… an unborn child can survive that level of –
Yes.
What did you say? Kram asked totally stunned.
I said yes.
There was a long silence.
I know his father; one of the strongest people I’ve ever met. And with me as his mother, this child isn’t going to be any pushover. He will survive it; trust me. This is a gamble I’m willing to take; and if he does not, that will be on me. She cried whilst still smiling.
Shit. Unbelievable, why did I ever respond to your summoning, you crazy girl. Kram let out an exasperated sigh.
She laughed as she wiped her tears. You said so yourself; you like the stubborn ones.
Look where that got me; to merge with the kid I’ll have to lose at least half of my Tumi… at least. He explained.
How do you mean? She asked.
Well since you had already mastered Tumi and already very powerful for your age; it was very easy for you to channel almost all of mine without dying or any serious damage. But in order for there to be a remote chance of successfully merging with your child, I’ll have to lose a lot of Tumi. Kram explained.
So what would happen to this excess Tumi that you have to lose?
Well, that’s where it gets tricky…
A few moments later…
I’ll ask one last time. Are you sure about this? Kram asked.
Yes. I am sure. She responded.
Alright then, here is what I haven’t told you. When I start merging with your child, which is immediately; you’ll not know whether the merge was successful or not till the day of his birth. There’s a fifty-fifty chance of success.
Sure, I was already prepared for that.
Good. Second, you won’t be able to contact me anymore. Despite the present I plan on leaving you; you and I will have no link anymore. Kram’s voice sounded different.
Wait, you mean I won’t be able to talk to you anymore? But Kram- I’m so sorry, I had no idea; I didn’t even think of it. She managed to say as she began sobbing loudly again.
Easy there kid; keep those hormones in check. Kram ordered.
But-
No buts. It’s already been decided. I hate goodbyes as it is already; don’t make it worse. He said with a low chuckle. So what are you planning on naming him?
She sniffled loudly, choking back her sobs.
Well, I thought of naming him after my father; but I don’t know how he’ll take that, so maybe after the child’s father. She said. What do you think Kram?
There was no response.
Kram? Kram? Are you still there? KRAM?!
Nothing but silence. He had left.
Her senses however were still intact. Kram’s flame still burned.
Thank you Kram; Thank you for the last five years; and thank you for now.

At that same moment in the Kakum Forest…
The forest had always been a peaceful place, but not this evening; loud crashing sounds of trees falling and explosions filled the night.
“Here I thought finding you was going to be a daunting task.” A figure with the structure of a man but made out of rock bellowed at the tall man in a red cap standing a few yards away from him.
“You must be Obour.” He responded. “She told me about you, said you were her father’s very own student; and probably the best amongst the guards. I am honoured that they sent you after me.” He flipped back avoiding a sharp rock that shot from the ground beneath him.
“The vassal chief’s very own student.” He added.
“Watch your tongue commoner! VITESSE!” Obour shouted. He suddenly disappeared, appearing behind the man.
The man quickly responded with a kick. Obour blocked the kick, grabbed him by the leg and sent him hurtling into the trees. The forest trembled as trees came crashing down loudly.
“I must say, she said you were strong; but she didn’t do you justice.” The man in the red cap said. “Well, it should be expected from the chief’s disciple. However…” He ripped off what was left of his shirt. “…don’t think I’m just some pushover you can throw around and go free.” He said turning his red cap backwards. The moon light revealed a tattoo of a spider web on his right arm.
“You are part of the Order?” Obour stared in disbelief at the tattoo.
 “I’m just one of the three Abrafo of the Order.” He said, a sinister grin spreading across his face. “Now, let me show you how it is done.”
“What? You think that scares me?” Obour bellowed, pounding his chest.
“It should… VI-TE-SSE!”

At that same moment in the Vassal Chief’s palace…
“Maa, why can’t I see Aunty Bondzewaa anymore?” The young girl asked with tears in her eyes, her hair tied in a single bun. She was just a five-year-old who knew nothing about what was happening.
“Well, a bad man stole her crown from her. He left her with a baby; and because of that she can’t be a part of this family” Her mother explained playing with the girl’s hair.
“But I want to see her, I miss her!” The small girl wailed. Burying her face in her mother’s cloth.
“I know Esi, I miss her too. Every single day.” She said rubbing her daughter’s back. “When I find the man who stole her crown I’ll make him pay.” There was a dangerous look in her eyes.
“Me too.” Esi said. She had a frown on her face; her attempt to look angry only made her mother laugh. Her daughter was just too cute.
Don’t worry baby girl, she thought. I know you will.

To be continued…


NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR
Hey guys, once again, thanks for the support and love you’re showing this series. I’m really glad you’re enjoying Order of the Web so far. So, as you can see Order of the WEB -15 continues; the -15 basically refers to the "Fifteen years ago" flashbacks. So whenever you see Order of the WEB -15, it means we're visiting the past. Here we learn a little about Kram’s origin; the red cap’s origin, and a little Esi cameo; not to mention we begin to find out a little more about the “Order”. Despite the lengthy dialogue in this chapter, particularly enjoyed it. I think it’s safe to say this is now my favourite chapter yet.
P.S. (To our foreign readers):
Tumi: This is a local word that directly translates as power, it means more in the story; but still… the basics are similar.
…winging it…
Yours Faithfully,
everydayGladiator (S.A.A)


No comments:

Post a Comment