Thursday 26 January 2017

Order of the WEB 5

“Tha- that’s my sister… Esi” I managed to say with Esi’s foot pressing on my head.
“Like I said; FAMILY BUSINESS.” Esi added. There was a sudden loud crack as a pair of stone hands rose from the ground and grabbed AJ’s ankles.
Tension filled the waiting room; everyone watched the standoff wide eyed. I slowly regained my bearings after being able to talk, though Esi still pressed on my head with her foot. Now that I was fully aware of myself I was getting annoyed. This was demeaning.
Easy there Kid. I can feel all that anger welling up; be careful you don’t slip. Remember what the examiner said. There will be more situations like these. Kram said, trying to keep me level headed; he was right, but I was still angry regardless. I couldn’t let this end this way.
I watched from where I was lying; AJ’s eyes were glistening white again. She was really getting into this. She looked at me, finally making eye contact. Good! I looked at her bolts of lightning and at the stone hands grabbing her; hoping she will get the message. A quick smile flashed on her face. She seemed to have gotten the message. If I was going to move, I had to be fast.
“Your move.” Esi said.
“Exactly shorty.” AJ responded. She released a concentrated charge of electricity from her feet, causing the stone hands to crumble. “Sorry guys!” She shouted as it rained down bolts of lightning, there was chaos everywhere. I felt her feet move in an attempt to avoid AJ’s lightning bolt, perfect time to make my move.
Vitesse!
I felt myself get lighter as I ran up the tall wall. There was familiar flash of red light from my right. She was coming for me. The light disappeared as Esi appeared from above me, running down towards me. I knew I would lose in a test of strength, even with the help of Kram, I had to use my speed.
“You think you’re faster than me?” A very familiar voice said from behind me. Esi was no more in my line of sight. Wait- when did she?
I jumped out of the way just in time to avoid a punch that could probably have killed me. There was a loud crashing sound as her fist connected with the wall. I watched in total shock as the tall wall started crumbling down. It rained huge chunks of debris. What was this girl? And what was with that speed?
“You don’t have time to be distracted, with that sorry excuse of Vitesse.” She added; appearing out of nowhere right in front of me mid-air.
Her braided hair fluttered around her; she looked even more intent on killing me, and far deadlier than I had expected. There was nothing I could do in my position now; she had me just where she wanted; there was nowhere to run, her Vitesse was at least at Mach speed unlke mine.
“I wish I could say this has been fun.” She added
Kram, I’m sorry, but I’m dead if I don’t use you.
I agree kid; guess we couldn’t hold out till Stage Three. I felt a hot sensation begin to burn through me.
Right before Esi’s kick could connect and before I could summon Kram’s strength, I felt time stop. We were mid-air, her foot only centimetres away from my temple. What was going on? What was that?
That is Tumi. Kram said answering my question. And how was Kram still able to communicate with me?
“NOT IN MY HOUSE!” A loud voice resounded through the room; shaking the walls that still stood. Time resumed and we were sent crushing into the ground. My body felt extremely heavy, I could barely move; it was as though gravity was fighting against me; I noticed Ato and AJ on the ground as well, they seemed to be trying to move too, but with no success. The debris from the wall that Esi had brought down, all floated into the sky, the wall began to rebuild itself. What was going on? Who was doing this?
“Every now and then, we get candidates who get too excited and go on rampage even when a test isn’t going on” I saw Twum enter from one of the doors. He looked angry. “I can’t stand arrogant candidates like that; especially those who end up causing damage.” He shot a look at Esi, who looked uninterested in what the examiner was saying.
“You are all lucky today is my mother’s birthday, and I promised her not to shed any blood on her day. Otherwise, all six of you would be corpses this instant.” The weight increased, the ground beneath us cracked. So this is what an examiner was capable of? He hadn’t even lifted a finger the whole time.
“I will not apologise for my actions.” Esi said. From where she stood. Wait! When did she get up? The examiner didn’t look surprised though; he probably had released her from whatever he was doing to hold us down. She started walking away from the rest of us. She looked back at the examiner; a blank look on her face. “But if you ever interrupt me, or threaten me again; I will kill you myself.”
The examiner smiled at her. She walked into the crowd of spectators leaving her teammates behind. The examiner turned his attention to the rest of us, let out a loud sigh and released his hold on us.
“One more riot from you lot, and you’ll all be disqualified from this exam.” He warned waving us off.
“TO EVERY CANDIDATE PRESENT; this room you’re in was built by the Exam Board to provide you with whatever you need; within reasonable context of course. The doors spread across this room will lead to whatever you’ll need to make your wait here worthwhile; once again within reasonable context. Enjoy your stay.” The examiner announced. His voice had a way of filling the entire room. He gave me a look that clearly read “BE CAREFUL”, and walked back from where he came.
Esi’s teammates walked into the crowds towards where she had gone.
“See you in the next round kakra; I really hope to see how well your training has been going.” The swordsman who looked exactly like Ato said, disappearing into the crowd behind the bandaged one. I hadn’t noticed the resemblance from where I had been on the floor.
“Kakra?” AJ stared at Ato. “You are a twin? Wow. The resemblance is uncanny.” She hovered around him annoyingly like a fly. “I think he’s slightly taller though. And a little more handsome.”
“I will cut you down.” Ato warned, which was useless as AJ kept prodding as we found a place to rest far away from most of the crowd and Esi and her team.
AJ tended to my broken arm, which I had forgotten about in all the excitement. It had already started healing which surprised her. She smiled knowingly and took a seat between Ato and I. She probably figured it was because of Kram that I was healing this fast, and she was right.
You’ve got to get stronger kid. Kram said after a while.
I know. I can’t stand this! Every time I feel I’ve gotten good enough; something needs to happen to prove otherwise. I responded in frustration. I mean I know I’m at least above average-
And unless you stop comparing yourself to the average people, you won’t get strong enough to finish this entire test, not to mention become a Story Teller! So you’d better stop complaining and put in the extra work.
Kram was right, if I wanted to become a Story Teller I had to get stronger and even surpass both my masters. Actually thinking about it seemed impossible, but that was what it took to be worthy of the title Story Teller.
“What do you guys want to become?” I asked staring into space. “Why are you taking the test? I mean I am taking this test to become a Story Teller like my father. I never really met him, apparently he died before I was even born; though I heard he was one of the strongest ever; you know, since the Spider himself. Yet somehow no one seems to know him. Hell, I don’t even know his name.”
I took of the red cap which I was wearing and inspected it. It had belonged to him when he was alive; according to master, he had been asked by my father to give it to me before I took the test. I never knew how true that story was; but two things I knew for sure, first, that my father was dead; and second, from what the examiner had said, this cap truly did belong to my father.
“How did he die?” Ato asked. AJ shocked him with a bit of her lightning. “Easy, I just wanted to know.”
“It’s okay.” I reassured AJ. “Well, I’ve never heard the full story of how he died; but I know who killed him and why”
“Well, I’m taking this test to become an Elder. Hopefully the youngest ever.” AJ said. She created a miniature cluster of lightning in her palm. “My family after seeing my power insisted I become a witch doctor or contend for the seat of one of the SIX KINGS OF THE SOUTH. Can you imagine that? A female king; would be the first ever down here.”
“So why elder?” I asked.
“Despite the power of the kings or the witch doctors, I believe the Elders are the most politically powerful in the rankings. Who makes a king? Who breaks a king? Who tells the king when to seek the council of the witch doctor, and whether or not to heed it? If the king controls the people, who controls the king?” The cluster of lighting in her palm crackled wildly. I honestly thought she was going to say something more inspiring, and less devious. She shut her palm, causing the electric show to end. She let out a sigh and smiled.
“And I’m guessing you want to be a knight?” I asked Ato, who just looked at me and shook his head. He didn’t talk after and just closed his eyes. He really didn’t like talking about himself did he?
“So, what’s up with your sister?” AJ asked. Her question caught Ato’s attention, who’s eyes fluttered open. “Why does she hate your guts that much? I mean she literally tried to kill you.”
Telling them about my sister meant telling them everything, which really wasn’t much. Considering we had just met, I wasn’t sure what to do. However, the fact that they had partnered with me meant their lives were now in as much danger as mine. According to the message from master, anyone found assisting me was also a target. They deserved to know.
“Honestly, as to why exactly, I don’t know? I’m still not sure if she really is my sister to be honest. I can’t tell you everything right now, but I can tell you this. Esi is not the only threat; she wants me dead for her own personal reasons I’m assuming. But there’s another person who wants me dead. Someone very powerful, who knows very powerful people. He has put a bounty on my head; and some candidates in this exam are aiming for that bounty.” AJ and Ato looked at me intently, completely attentive to what I was telling them. “The reason why I’m telling you this is because anyone caught helping or assisting me automatically becomes a target. I am sorry, but that’s all I can say right now.”
They were both just silent staring at me. Probably wondering whether I had lost my mind.
“I will understand if you want to end this partnership.” I added. “After all, none of you signed up for this.”
“You are right; we have no ties whatsoever with you.” AJ responded. “But we already helped you once, so now we are both targets. Next time mention this earlier you idiot.” She smacked me up my head. “I also haven’t seen it yet; the main reason why I partnered you; so I don’t have much of an option” She winked at me. I hated when she did that, it made me feel as if she could see right through me and even see Kram.
“She’s right about already being targets” Ato added. “Plus hanging around you means I get to meet more worthy opponents and probably Ato, again.”
We both looked at him as he mentioned his twin brother, expecting him to say more. Which he predictably didn’t.
“But you do know unless you learn how to use Tumi, the next rounds of the first stage are just going to be that much harder right?” AJ pointed out. “All of her teammates can use Tumi including your sister. And from what I saw you were useless in that fight; I won’t even call it a fight, she was a boxer and you were a punching bag.”
AJ was right. Esi was way out of my league; she was as strong as AJ and stronger than Ato. I absolutely had no chance of survival if I was to meet her in a fight.
“Maybe if you knew how to use Tumi, you could have defended yourself better.” I looked at AJ wide-eyed. What did she mean by defended myself? Was she also underestimating me? I knew Esi was stronger than me; but I’m certain if I could also use Tumi, I could land a hit or two.
“Why are you giving me that look?” She asked, a confused look on her face. “Wait, don’t tell me you actually believe that you could land a hit on that short girl.”
“If I knew Tumi, I prob-“ She cut me off before I could finish.
“You think so?” She asked again.
“Yes. I do. After all if it wasn’t for the Tumi she us-“ Before I could finish Ato was standing in front of me. The back of his sword pressed against my throat. How did he do that?!
“This is what the lowest form of Tumi looks like.” He said, looking me dead in the eyes. “You would be dead by now if someone who knew Tumi wanted you dead.”
“What are you trying to say? That she didn’t want me dead?” I managed to ask as the sword pressed harder.
“Not just that. I didn’t sense an ounce of Tumi when she was fighting you.” He said, his sword disappearing back to wherever it came from. “She nearly killed you with just her raw strength.”
I couldn’t move. Was I this stupid? Did I honestly for a second think I could fight Esi? Was I this weak?
“He is right. I hate to say this, trust me; but I don’t think even if both Ato and I attacked that girl seriously we would survive.” AJ added. As if reality wasn’t harsh enough.
Was the gap between Esi and I this much?
Are you seriously going to sit around mopping? Kid, your mother would be ashamed of you right now. Her son… looking like this? You’d better snap out of it? First of all, have you forgotten what I’m capable of? Secondly, if you really want to be stronger on your own, without using me, do you think sitting down and mopping about it is going to change anything? If you hate it so much; do something about it!
Kram was right. I wanted to get stronger on my own; not just rely on him. I needed to get stronger if I truly wanted to become a Story Teller. I needed to get better.
“Teach me.” I muttered
AJ and Ato both turned to stare at me.
“What was that?” AJ asked
“Did the beating make you retarded or something?” Ato added.
“Teach me how to use Tumi.” I said louder this time.
Now we are getting somewhere.

In the examiner’s office…
“Candidates just keep getting troublesome and more difficult to handle as the years pass by!” He complained throwing himself on the couch that seemed to be the only furniture in the wide room. The ceiling above him looked like a huge monitor showing the waiting room; and each room that the candidates accessed. He looked up at the screen ceiling above him letting out a loud sigh. “I’m getting too old for this shit.”
He looked down in time to see a spear ran him into the wall behind with a loud explosion. Slowly the dust filled room cleared up to reveal the examiner holding a spear which seemed to be made out of just plasma energy. It was inches away from his heart. He shattered the spear and stood from his seat.
“Adehye… very interesting; I will know that move anywhere. It has gotten surprisingly sharper I must admit. It could have easily killed me.” Twum said, dusting off his clothes. He looked back to see the damage. “Oh Come On! I just finished rebuilding that after the last time you showed up here!”
“Well if it had killed you then I’d know for certain it wasn’t you.” A voice responded, that of a woman. A figure appeared out of a dark corner in a long black hood. Her face was completely hidden by the darkness. “And, sorry about the wall.”
“Yeah, I’d prefer a cheque.” Twum replied. “I thought it wasn’t safe for you to be moving around this much. Why are you here; it’s not like anything has happened.”
“Well, I have gained additional inside help; a very reliable one...” Her words trailed off as she looked at the monitor. “Are those his teammates?”
“Yeah; they seem very strong; especially that girl. She reminds me of Akosua.” Twum said sitting back in his couch.
“That strong?” The woman asked; surprise in her voice.
“Yup. I’ve seen what she’s capable of.”
“Interesting. Anyway I have something important to tell you; that’s why I’m here.”
“You think that is interesting? You should see Akosua’s daughter.” Twum said with a snicker.
“Esi?” The woman asked. “You already knew how strong that girl is; it’s remarkable really”
“Strong?” Twum guffawed. “Strong is an understatement; she is a monster. I give her ten years- no, make that five years and she will be either as strong as you or even stronger?”
“What do you mean?”
“That kid broke free from my Tumi hold; Asaase. I might not have used the strongest hold. But she still did.”
“I’m honestly not surprised; she is a prodigy at manipulating Tumi” The woman said. “Just like her mother.”
“You see, that’s where it gets interesting. She didn’t use an ounce of Tumi” Twum said crossing his leg.
“What?! That is not possible”
“Exactly what I thought.”

Somewhere behind one of the doors in the waiting room…
My heart was beating so loudly I could barely hear myself think. I could barely see out of my left eye too, as a mixture of blood and sweat trickled down my forehead, some seeping into my eye. I tried to catch my breath; a simple task that seemed almost impossible in my current state. I felt as though I had climbed up Mt Afadjato and had been kicked to the bottom. Every part of me ached and screamed in pain.
Ato stood in front of me; he had barely broken a sweat. His katana blade disappeared into thin air. He looked at me and nodded. I watched as he walked to the other end of the room.
AJ clapped from where she sat. She had a wide grin on her face a she stood up and walked towards me.
“See, I knew my idea would work.” She said loudly.
“Congratulations Nana.” She said tapping me on the shoulder. It took everything I had to just stand up right now, and her tapping me wasn’t making it any easier. “You’ve finally attained Tumi; though I must admit, I’ve never seen Tumi manifest in this form before.”

To be continued…

NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR
Hey everyone! Hope you’re all doing well. This week has been a busy one I must confess; and due to that it has been extra hard to work on this chapter of Order of the WEB. I have a script that needs to be presented by tomorrow and one on Monday. So It has been extra challenging to find time to work on this chapter; not to mention how tired I’ve been this week. It’s like the holidays are now taking a toll on me. Not to mention I resume school tomorrow. Yup, meaning I’m going to be extra busy from now on; in other words, I won’t be able to post as frequently as I have been doing these past few weeks. Rest assured, I will still keep bringing you more Order of the WEB, just not as frequently.
I intentionally made this chapter slightly lengthy as a way of saying, “I hope this makes up for future brownings.”. I must say this chapter was difficult to write! I had a real tough time. I did enjoy some moments of the story, as we do get to know more about our characters, especially our MC. We also meet a new mystery character. I know you have a lot of questions and so would I. I encourage you to ask them; but do find assurance in the fact that all will be revealed in due time…Scout’s honour. In the next chapter, we will be learning more about Tumi; and also, Round 2 will be starting. I can’t wait to show you what the test is. Probably the most original concept I’ve ever had…yet.
P.S. ESI THOUGH!!!!!!KWER!!! MY VERY OWN OP CHARACTER!!!

…winging it…

Yours Faithfully,
EverydayGladiator (S.A.A)





1 comment: